Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This is true of men as of dogs



I have been doing some sketchbook work...half finished stipple sketches that go nowhere really and are a total waste of time when I have so much proper work I REALLY need to be focusing on.

Anyway, this is an unfinished drawing of Laika, the Soviet space dog was the first living thing to leave the earths atmosphere and also the first orbital death. I am always boring people by talking about her, but she never gets the credit she deserves! She was a stray who was found wandering around Moscow and chosen for the Sputnik II flight because the scientists agreed that a stray dog would already be used to enduring extreme weather conditions. She died within hours of the spacecraft being launched due to over heating and the scientists admitted afterwards she had always been intended to die.

Whenever I think about loneliness, I always think of this little dog.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic as per usual! Ahh, loneliness. I have to lend you this film that I love - even though it's a bit pretentious, Bill Murray's character epitomises the doomy gloomy disattachment of a loooonely soul!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA622OwgHCA

    Indeed.

    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I can't believe I havn't watched that yet...you know how I love to wallow Chris! Though...it can't possibly compete with my beloved new Toy Story 3 dvd...I LOVE you for that...makes Paris seem a bit poor in comparison!;)

    I watched Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance and The White Ribbon tonight, they were both deadly!Are you coming over this weekend? Oldboy, myes?

    P.s My blog is much happier since you came along, never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I... hope to be, depending on how Cat is fixed! I really, really hope I am up, though, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Oldboy... mmmfine idea, you have many fine films to educate me about :D

    Your blog would be so popular if blogspot.com wasn't such a ghost town! It's hip and happening in all the right places!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what a joke my blog has become...it's just an extension of Facebook!

    Tell that bitch to be cool and come up anyway! Oh, I'll be in town for that comic/zine thingy tomorrow...give me a buzz if you're around, doing brain stuff or whatnot!:D

    ReplyDelete