Friday, August 20, 2010

Dress Up In You







It's really time I try and give my poor blog back even a semblance of dignity...I keep forgetting people can see the bullshit I post. Those poor dashboards. Anyway, here is what I have so far on the Signal Arts exhibition...it's going pretty slow, but it's not really something I want to rush...for once. I also have a tentative name for the show...I'm thinking "Dress Up In You", named after the Belle and Sebastian song ("If I could have a second skin, I'd probably dress up in you"). I'm worried the work looks twee..I'm trying to steer away from drawing children, as I look back at previous work and cringe. I hardly ever use pencil, but I've been trying that out with a little bit of pen and watercolour on my beloved brown paper and I'm actually enjoying using it. I had planned on doing all the work on wood, but am wondering if I should now...hmmmn. Also, these are just rough sketches, ideas on how I'm going to place the animal heads on the humans...the finished pieces will be nothing like this probably! And I know the animals are shockingly bad, but I just painted them roughly...I'm going in to the Natural History Museum tomorrow for research purposes and I can't wait! It's so creepy.:)

The Turtle man is from a story about a turtle and a coyote who fight to the death! The bird man is about a lonely bird who can't get a date( my sisters got a great laugh from that one)..originally I was drawing a younger boy until I remembered how I'm trying to avoid that...I'm thinking loner business man instead now.

Regards the cat on the old mans head...take that whatever way you want-Karen Vaughan certainly did!

5 comments:

  1. SARAH :D I was looking through my bookmarks and realised your blog was there, completely slipped my mind to look :/ But now that I have, it's great! Your artwork is fantastic, I love the detail!

    It just seems to be done perfectly, I've wondered for ages what you art work is like and now I've finally seen it I'm so impressed! I hope you're well, I miss you and Cathy and Suzanne!

    Aideen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne-thank you so much, you're always so kind!:) Now the pressures on...you'll probably hate my next update!x

    AIDEEN!
    My God woman, where have you been? Is your number still the same? I txt you a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know how that went...my phone died a very sad death and I'm back to using my old shambles of a mobile! Ah, thank you so much-and you were always so interested in hearing about it too!:) We all miss you lots and lots...please come visit us! I'll message you on facebook, love you.
    x
    P.S Please, please, please let me get what I want.:)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it's been so long :( And yep, my number's still the same. Seems to be a bit tempermental though so sometimes calls and texts don't come through. I'll be getting a new phone in a few weeks though so hopefully that won't be an issue anymore :D And I miss you and your sisters too<33 It's been way too long! xx
    P.S. You clearly know me too well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarahhhhhhhhhhhhhh they are all so beautiful well done.... when is the exhibition?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Helen!
    The opening is the 7th of January...uuuurgh!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete