Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hunchbacks







I really love how paper silhouettes and cut outs look, but I always get really fed up before I'm even half way through and end up fucking them up. Also, because I'm a lefty,(1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed!)I find it really tricky to wield the scalpel and I tend to drag it in the wrong direction, blunting the blade and making the paper look ad though I chewed through it with my teeth. But as usual, I'm cold and can't sleep so I'll just upload some pictures to illustrate my point!

These are a couple of pictures from a little book I made last year based on memory and and how untrustworthy it is. Also how misleading and confusing everything is when you're a child and how things are so exaggerated when you think back on them. Well...that's how I sold it, but really it was about all the oddballs my Dad knew and how scared me, Cat and Sue were of them. The one that stands out most was a poor man called Austin who was a hunchback, drove a white van and always brought us oranges. We were terrified the oranges might be infected (hunchback-ism being HIGHLY contagious of course)and would be too afraid to eat them. Also as we were learning the alphabet at the time , became convinced that Austin and Oscar Orange were one and the same and so we always knew him as Oscar Orange. That's how I came to call the book "The Obscure tale of Oscar Orange and the Shadow people". It should really have been called something like "Childhood ignorance"...
I wrote little poems to go with the illustrations and printed them onto tissue paper to try and keep with the whole shadowy feel...I also made the stupid mistake of not considering what paper I used beforehand and drawing the pictures straight onto quite heavy black card. It was quite a disaster and that fucking card nearly broke me! SO MANY DREADFUL MISTAKES!

I could have uploaded a nicer photo of us, but I think this one just sums up our awkwardness and confusion!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like ye didn't want to be sitting with each other, and it has never changed!

    Stop putting your work down, I love your idea and the book looks really good! 'You'll never get anywhere with that attitude'.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. several things
    1) you're giving that barbie the evil eye's something terrible there :)

    2) i feel your pain on the left handed front. when i'm using a scalpel(albeit for very different reasons) i try to cut to the side, rather than straight down. that steadies my hand a bit. you should try it if you dont already

    3) i had a friend who caught hunchbackitis. they sent him to live in a colony :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Seanna/Mam...lav you! Do you notice how I'm actually hitting Sue in the face?! It's like Paris all over again!

    Rob!
    1.Yeah,I look like a bloody deviant, I always hated all that birthday fuss...I'd say I was missing my beloved dog teddy Bouncer too!
    2.I didn't know you were a lefty...we're soooooo cool! Thanks for the advice:)
    3. I KNEW IT! Does he have to wear a bell around his neck??

    ReplyDelete